Destined to be together, this Braised Beef Short Rib in Red Wine Sauce recipe and our Artisanal Syrah is soul food at its best. Below is everything you need to create this succulent winter pairing.
- 5-6 Bone-in beef short ribs, cut crosswise into 2-inch pieces. 300-400g each
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 750 ml bottle dry red wine
- 2 sprigs flat-leaf parsley
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 sprigs oregano
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 fresh or dried bay leaves
- 1 head of garlic, halved crosswise
- 2 cups low-salt beef stock (500ml)
- Mashed potatoes (Optional)
- Chimichurri (Optional)
- Coleslaw (Optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°. Season short ribs with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Working in 2 batches, brown short ribs on all sides, about 8 minutes per batch. Transfer short ribs to a plate. Pour off all but 3 Tbsp. of drippings from the pot.
- Add onions, carrots, and celery to pot and cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until onions are browned, about 5 minutes. Add flour and tomato paste; cook, stirring constantly, until well combined and deep red, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in wine, then add short ribs with any accumulated juices. Bring to a boil; lower heat to medium and simmer until wine is reduced by half, about 25 minutes. Add all herbs to the pot along with garlic. Stir in stock. Bring to a boil, cover, and transfer to the oven.
- Cook until short ribs are tender, about 2–2½ hours. Transfer short ribs to a platter. Strain sauce from the pot into a measuring cup. Spoon fat from surface of sauce and discard; season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve in shallow bowls over mashed potatoes , chimichurri sauce and or coleslaw
- Pair with our Artisanal Syrah